All Saints has a very welcoming feel about it and is well looked after and maintained.
It is believed that a Church of some sort stood on this site long before the Norman conquest in 1066 AD. Little is know of the original Saxon building but it is sufficient to realize that Christian Worship has taken place here for well over a thousand years.
The church is open every day from about 9am to 5pm and there are usually 2 services every month.
Our Churchyards are kept well kept with some areas left uncut to improve the wildlife diversification
On Palm Sunday there is always a special service and procession down to the “Street” with the famous Clovelly Donkeys.
The nave, chancel, and south transept appear to have been built, or rebuilt, between 1370 & 1530 when the north aisle was added to incorporate the north transept.
It has a 54ft. high Norman tower with a very nice sounding peal of 6 bells and a 10cwt tenor bell. The porch has a Norman arch with the main and north aisles being of the Perpendicular period, there is also a host of memorials and stained glass windows to local owners of the Clovelly Estate.
In 1889, the owner of the Village, Christine Hamlyn, was married and had the Vowles tracker organ installed, which still plays excellently to this day.
Recently work has been carried out to re-roof the south side and the tower, to upgrade the heating and to provide a wheelchair access.
All Saints Clovelly
The majority of the Clovelly Parish is in an Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty situated about 12 miles from Bideford. The South West Footpath runs along the coast with spectacular cliffs, sea views and wooded valleys. The village is in two parts - the internationally famous, historically picturesque "Street" with pedestrian only access leading down the steep, cobbled path to the harbour and Bideford Bay and Higher Clovelly, which is a widespread farming community. All Saints is situated a little way above the village and St. Peter’s Chapel halfway down the "Street" which, with its 80 or so rented houses and most of the surrounding farms and farmland, forms part of the private Clovelly Estate.
The population is about 400 adults and 60 children. Some people work in the village serving the tourists and a few still fish; others are in farming and working in the general area. There is an RNLI lifeboat stationed in Clovelly manned by the villagers.
About half the population live in each area.
There are 2 hotels in the “Street” and tourist shops but none in Higher Clovelly.
The War Memorial Parish Hall is in Higher Clovelly with a football pitch and plenty of parking.
There is now no school in Clovelly as the Primary School closed over 12 years ago.
Please consider helping us financially by joining the Parish Giving Scheme (PGS) to make a regular donation. Full details are in the linked form on the left-hand button below.
If you would prefer to make a one-off donation, please download, fill in and return a completed Gift Aid form to enable us to claim an extra 25p on every £1.00 at no additional cost to you or us. Thank you.
One-off donations may be made to:
All Saints Church Clovelly
sort code 08-92-99